It is given that everyone knows the dangers of exposure to molds. However, for the majority of the population, there is a notion that white molds don’t pose any significant danger. Understandably, this is due to many things including the stigma of black as color that occurs in nature as a warning sign. In the context of mold growth, black is more scary looking and is actually a lot more dangerous than white molds. The problem with this notion is that people are prone to deal in absolutes and will immediately think that white molds are absolutely harmless. Of course, this is a misconception, a dangerous one. Even though white molds are less dangerous than black, leaving it unabated in spreading around the house can lead to life-threatening problems, especially when it comes to respiratory issues.

 

Acknowledging the dangers of white molds is one thing. Spotting them is another. On a dark surface such as black upholsteries, white molds are easy enough to spot. However, on lighter shades of wood, it might escape even the keenest eyes around. But for anyone who has been spotting white molds in their home several times, it becomes easier to recognize. Though, it must be said that seeing white or black molds that frequently should be a major cause for concern. It might be time to contact professionals like the ones over at https://cleanwaterpartners.org/mold/white-mold/ and ask them for advice or have them over for clean-up.

 

Another problem that comes with white mold spotting is that there are things that closely resemble the texture of molds. Efflorescence is the first thing that comes to mind. Unlike molds, efflorescence is not fungal growth but an accumulation of dissolved salts. This is usually found on concrete surfaces. One way to test and differentiate white molds from efflorescence is by dropping a few drops of water on the white substance. If it dissolves, it is efflorescence, if not then it’s very likely to be molds. Another way to tell the difference is by swabbing the white substance off with the fingers and pinching it. If it turns to fine powder, it’s dissolved salt. But then again, it’s an unhygienic way to test the substance.

 

When cleaning surfaces that have white molds, it’s important to do so thoroughly. Depending on the surface, diluted alcohol or bleach can be used. If the surface is smooth, use a cloth or a sponge. If it’s in no danger of being damaged by abrasion, such as tiles and concrete, use brush. And since molds thrive on moisture, it’s imperative to dry the surface as quickly as possible after cleaning. This way, if any spore is left in crevasses, it is deprived of moisture. Regardless of what surface is going to be cleaned, it’s important to first check around the Internet for the appropriate cleaning agent to use. Some are careless enough to think that diluted alcohol is safe to use for their varnished furniture. Similarly, some upholstery can be damaged by bleach. It doesn’t hurt to ask around, as it only takes a few minutes. But to make it count, ask people who know how to deal with molds.

Dealing With White Molds in the House

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *